It is a fact that the world is full of people of all shapes and sizes. The same goes for people with Marfan syndrome, however, it’s also clear that we Marfs do share common physical characteristics. At the top of the list would be our elongated limbs and tall stature. Some may also have indentations in their chests or somewhat disproportional figures. No matter what shape we are, we obviously demand a little more effort from the fashion industry. Luckily for us, the industry has been catching on to the fact that there is indeed a profitable market for petites, talls, plus sizes, and larger shoe sizes. However, it remains to be somewhat frustrating when a "tall" is only a 34” inseam or when a size 14 shoe is as a wide as our hips.
In light of these predicaments, we have decided to start adding fashion tips and places to buy flattering - for - Marf styles to our website. Please share with us whatever helpful feedback and ideas you may want to contribute! What is your favorite outfit and why?
Please note that the NMF does not endorse or support these companies and is not responsible for what is posted on their websites. The following tips are simply recommendations from our teen members.
Printable List of Stores
Fashion Tips for Girls
Fashion Tips for Boys
Tips for People with Scoliosis
Fashionable Medic Alert Jewelry
For a printable list of stores that carry Mar-Fashion and details about what they carry click here.
Fashion Tips for Girls:
- In order to elongate your torso, try wearing low- rise jeans that sit low on the hip. Also try a drop waist dress or top. This is a flattering cut that simply places the waist of a garment lower on the hips. The look originated with the 1930s flapper look and it’s back in style!
- In order to bypass the whole pant length dilemma completely, wear leggings for warmth with dresses and skirts, paired with boots, flats, or sandals, depending on the season.
- Long tunic or t-shirt dresses and tops also give the illusion of a longer waist.
- This website has tips for places to find tall sizes:www.tallwomen.org/clothes/usa
- BodenUSA.com: Has dresses and pants in long sizes
- Anntaylor.com: Has suits and pants in tall
Fashion Tips for Boys:
- Polo shirts and long sleeved shirts can hide a pigeon chest better than basic t-shirts.
- Bootcut or flared jeans draw less attention to skinny legs than tapered.
- Try wearing 3/4 length shorts during the summer if you want to hide skinny legs.
- If you are really thin like most of us with Marfan, try rocking the rocker look with skinny jeans and cool t-shirts and embrace it instead of trying to hide it!
- Try just pushing or rolling up long sleeves if they are too short.
- Hot Topic: Has pants with very long inseams for boys that are often adjustable at the sides of the waist.
Tips for People with Scoliosis:
Some ways to flatter your body type are wearing low rider pants with shirts that are looser around the waist like empire waists. You can have formal dresses made by a seamstress to add extra fabric to the side of the dress where you curve towards to even it out. This is often cheaper then buying a dress.
Fashionable Medic Alert Jewelry: